5 Advantages of Using a Kit Lens
Posted by The Dream Within
on Feb 18th, 2014 | Comments Off on 5 Advantages of Using a Kit Lens
Before you write off the cheap lens that came bundled with your DSLR, take a look at the following video clip. Kai takes the humorous approach to explaining why kit lenses are worth a shot for new camera owners. He also shows some surprising comparisons with more expensive L-series lenses:
5 Things a Kit Lens is Good For
- Their restricted focal lengths more closely resemble what the human eye sees, which makes composing images easier.
- It’s bland, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s still great for helping you develop an eye.
- The price to performance ratio is outstanding. Most kit lenses offer image stabilization and auto focus, which could be considered added bonuses.
- If it breaks, or you are bored with it, it is easy to let go since the investment you made into was minimal.
- Surprisingly, kit lenses like the Canon EF-S 18-55mm can outperform more expensive lenses like the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM lens at certain apertures.
While the kit lens does have its limitations, it often proves to be a valuable piece of gear to have in your bag. Especially when considering that the equipment doesn’t make the photographer.
[via PictureCorrect Photography Tips]